Writers of fiction, poetry, lyrics, screenplays and life stories come from diverse backgrounds. For the past three years a small group has met weekly to write together, offering criticism and support to whoever stopped by. Over 200 different people have dropped by; we learned something from each one of them. Most of the people who found us had already written for years- some even published.

If this is something that interests you, join us! We meet every Wednesday, from 9 AM - 10:30 at the Jesus Center on Park Avenue.



Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Bus Ride


The Bus Ride

by Emily G

Sitting in a crowd of strangers for 5 hours.
Not the way a 12 year old would like to pass the time.
I had to think of ways to make the bus ride bearable.

When you sat down next to me I wanted to crawl away.
Oh no! An old man who would bore me with his anecdotes.
Please don’t ask me questions about myself.

You did start and I was very evasive with my answering.
Yes, I had gotten on the bus in New York.
But I was really from Paris where my father was a film director.

I lived on the Left Bank surrounded by poets and artistic types.
I was an actress and had dabbled in writing children’s books.
I enjoyed traveling around America, looking for inspiration.

Hey this was fun! I could wrap myself up however I pleased.
I’d never see this old man again. He’d never know.
I’d start namedropping – Fellini was my father’s best friend.

He’d never get to unwrap this gift and see what’s inside.
He’d only see whatever wrapping I chose to put on.
He could tell his grandchildren what a famous child he had met on the bus.

The five hours flew by quickly. The trip was done.
I shook his hand with a cocky self-assuredness.
His eyes twinkled with the wisdom of his years.

Somehow I knew that I had not pulled one over on him.
He did know what was inside the wrapping paper.
A bored, self-conscious, awkward 12 year old, yearning to be someone else.







No comments:

Post a Comment