Writers of fiction, poetry, lyrics, screenplays and life stories come from diverse backgrounds. For the past three years a small group has met weekly to write together, offering criticism and support to whoever stopped by. Over 200 different people have dropped by; we learned something from each one of them. Most of the people who found us had already written for years- some even published.

If this is something that interests you, join us! We meet every Wednesday, from 9 AM - 10:30 at the Jesus Center on Park Avenue.



Tuesday, March 19, 2013

the prompt was OVERLOADED


OVERLOADED
My mind was overloaded
I’d jammed it to the hilt
No room was left for gladness
Only misery and guilt

My mind was overloaded
I couldn’t sleep a wink
I tossed and turned forever
There was no room to think

My mind was overloaded
My blankets made me sweat
My toes were cramped and twisted
I could only turn and fret

My mind was overloaded
I tried to say a prayer
Either God was on vacation
Or He simply wasn’t there

My mind was overloaded
My wife began to snore
It brought to mind my lover
Who always knew the score

I poked her in the rib cage
I asked her for advice
She answered me with kisses
No need to ask her twice.

Andy

SOMEONE ELSE
Someone else has sat in your seat. Someone else had had your idea. Someone else has led your life. Someone else has stood in the rain or snow and stared at a discarded bouquet of roses on the ground. Someone else has shed these tears before.

Yet for a moment, that first moment you felt it or experienced it, that hard flat surface beneath you or the bright shocking revelation that 2+2=4 or that indeed this girl is the one and only one for you, that moment is yours and yours alone. And then it’s gone, and you are left with that old proverb’s famous words, “There is nothing new under the sun.”

But I prefer to think to myself, “But what a sun!” and the thought that he and I and you and I and even she and I are looking at the same sun is a beautiful thing, and can threaten to overload my mind. There is nothing new it’s true. The world is very old, but it is also very beautiful. Especially if you try to see it for the first time everyday.

Scott

OVERLOADED
Overloaded
From my hair to my toes
Overloaded
From my guts to my nose
Overloaded
Like a ship about to sink
Overloaded
Like a drunk’s last drink
Overloaded
Like someone in trouble
Overloaded
Like bursting his bubble
Overloaded
By ice and snow
Overloaded
Like a burlesque show
Overloaded
Like an derelict’s yawn
Overloaded
Like a cop’s baton

Alex

STRANGERS AGAIN
The Nash, cut down into a truck of sorts and overloaded, rolled along on three tires and a rim that wailed a constant complaint.  Each expansion joint in the concrete punctuated the protestation with sharp metallic blows.  For all the noise there was not quite enough to fill the big quiet caused by a motor silenced by the lack of gas.  A hot breeze sanded over the sunburned faces of those passengers perched on the patched canvas covered remains of their lives.  Their dirty hands gripped the canvas tightly, their fate on the downgrade, brakes burning.

Al looked over at Floyd, but they were strangers again.  Their night on the Colorado River was a couple of hundred miles ago, and the Mojave had since sucked all the juiciness out of the memory.  Floyd looked resolutely ahead, knowing he was being watched.  The increasing wind whipped at his open shirt and the sunlight counted his ribs.  He was as dark as an Indian, except for his knuckles.

Daniel

ODE TO FACEBOOK
Too much talking
Too many words
You need to stop
You've already been heard

Too many messages
And notifications
Please give it rest
And go on vacation

I guess it's entitlement
I guess it's fear
That makes you think
You're all I want to hear

Please take your comments
Your updates and such
To your own bulging mind
We've all had enough

Emily


OVERLOADED
Weight Limit!
Feeling overloaded!? Some people have figured out how brains work.
Important names, dates, secrets, poems, criticisms, jokes, catchy phrases?
Where have we put these thoughts? In long term or short?
Can I recall or even remember to search out what matters most to my friends and family?
Overloaded equals a full life--or agony & sleepless nights.
I think I'll just watch another movie.
Writing helps.

Liz


OVERLOAD
Information overload
Is the frustration of the day.
Too many stings, and things
That attempt my mind to sway'

Gigas, megas,and other bytes
Filling up our brains
without something else to store them
I would simply go insane.

A simpler life is better
It brings me peace of mind.
And of course, my music,
Which helps me to unwind.

I don't think we're intended
To walk upon this road
The information highway
To systems overload!

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment