Writers of fiction, poetry, lyrics, screenplays and life stories come from diverse backgrounds. For the past three years a small group has met weekly to write together, offering criticism and support to whoever stopped by. Over 200 different people have dropped by; we learned something from each one of them. Most of the people who found us had already written for years- some even published.

If this is something that interests you, join us! We meet every Wednesday, from 9 AM - 10:30 at the Jesus Center on Park Avenue.



Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Kindness

by Michael Dean Long

You've all heard the tale of the eighty-one whacks
Made by Lizzy Borden’s oh so merciful axe.
I can well attest that she was too kind
Or maybe just thankful her parents weren't mine.

In scenes too horrific for Silver Screen or TV
I muse what would transpire if she had been me.
With thousands of pieces strewn on the floor
I'd still have the venom urging me on to do more!

With malevolent laughter they've not heard before
I'd strip myself naked and bathe in their gore
Lucky they are, not to have lifted the lid
Of that Pandorean Box and I left when I did.

Like Shakespearean actors upon life's stage
Their lives would have ended at the turning of the page.
The unfathomable pain, the incalculable rage
Earned these monsters their miserable wage.

All of this and sadistic humor to boot,
For kindness was never my strongest of suits!   

No comments:

Post a Comment